Saturday 10 June 2017

Papacream, Mumbai

PAPACREAM, Churchgate



My third time in the shop, and my second review. The thing that had pulled me back here this time around was a particular ice cream that is being much publicized on social media. While I had wanted to have this before as well, but somehow felt wary about it. I know I love food but some times it's difficult to wary from what you already know of. 


The one thing, I have to say is that the place looked just a tiny bit shabbier from my previous visit. The sparkle that the place had seems to have been robbed somehow. It doesn't look dirty or unkempt but that sparkle seemed to be missing. That extra mile you go to make a place look beautiful. The daily upkeep. The walls and tiles had lost its sheen. And I say this because my first trip here had me in awe of the decor of the place.


So coming to the ice creams we ordered, the much talked about Pani Puri Ice cream and red velvet bubble waffle sundae. There is so much talk on the Pani Puri Icream and this is what I had come to try. Little baskets of puri, though not as thin as the original puri, topped with some Potato mousse (which has a little bit of a mayo taste to it as well), and provided separately a sorbet made out of teekha pani from which Pani puri gets its identity. Be cautious here, and don't overload your puri with the teekha sorbet. Remember this is ice cream and your teeth are going to feel the chill. This is exactly what I did. All I had in my head was pan-puri so I just swooped it in my mouth till I felt the cold hit my teeth and I regretted it almost instantly. Otherwise, it's quite innovative and should be in your list of things to try out. This is probably the answer to all those pani puri lovers who go ''bhaiyya, aur pani do na". There is more of the sorbet than the puri baskets, so you will have a lot of pani to yourself. 


The other item we ordered was the Red Velvet Bubble waffle sundae with Blue Berry Ice cream, topped with some whipped cream, blue berry compote and garnished with cheese cake crumble. Dreamy right? It is or was. The waffle had a crunch at the sides and was soft in the middle which is exactly how I like my waffle. The downer? Didn't really taste like red velvet. It seemed to be almost like a red velvet, because you could find a subtle flavor of it, but then that's not what red velvet is right?! If I had ordered a normal waffle and received this, I would have said on point, but for the red velvet. And I especially minded this a little because my sister who I had brought here is a huge fan of red velvet and keeps telling me to get her some red velvet cupcakes, cakes and everything in red velvet out there and I had wanted to treat her to this delight. But she couldn't even tell it was red velvet and that's how I say that it was slightly disappointing. 


Even though Bombay has gotten innovative in it's dessert and ice cream scence in the recent past, the pani puri ice cream from this place is not to be missed. They also have various other quirky flavors. I would also highly recommend the bubble waffle sundae, the doughnut-wich, the guava sorbet. Next I want is to try is the hummus. 


WHAT WE HAD - Pani Puri Ice Cream (Delighted)

                          Red Velvet Bubble Waffle Sundae (Yumness)


DAMAGES - Rs 500/- (Approx)

WHERE -  Papacream. 18, Cambatta Building, J.T Road, Churchgate, Mumbai

Papacream Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment